The chapel and cemetery of Flamisoul
B-6688 Flamisoul (Bertogne)
Tel : +32(0)61 21 69 09
Fax : +32(0)61 21 65 51
Accessibility : 2
Saint Aldegonde⤙s Chapel, the outer wall of the cemetery, the funeral stones and crosses and the surroundings have been classed since 1987. The Chapel rema...
Saint Aldegonde⤙s Chapel, the outer wall of the cemetery, the funeral stones and crosses and the surroundings have been classed since 1987. The Chapel remains open for worship and the cemetery that surrounds it is still in use. Built in a rectangular design with a three-panel cutout chancel, it is presumed to date from 1626, but the frames of the windows, made from bricks, are more recent. This does not detract from the building⤙s character. Inside is an impressive multicolored and gilded altar, embellished with pilasters and wooden statues, over which stands a gilded wooden statue of Saint Aldegonde (16th ⤓ 17th centuries). The chancel and front chancel are paved with seven rectangular stones that mark the tombs of local lords who had the privileges that went along with their rank as postmasters (Machuray). Along the length of the cemetery wall, near the entrance, is a row of fifteen funeral crosses made from schist (19th century). Three larger rectangular pavestones are fixed to the north wall of the chapel, and one of them has a double coat of arms made from finely sculpted schist. A gothic-style sandstone slab lying along the southern wall shows a female figure praying with rosary beads (16th century). It is generally referred to as the ⤜Monument to the Abbess⤝. (Original text by MT du Pays de Bastogne)